Every Story that is partially DONE within the Sprint still has to go through some of the following Steps to get DONE in some future Sprint.
- The PO must prioritise the Story again
- The Team must review and rewrite the story removing the parts that are not required and adding any missing detail and conditions of satisfaction
- If the Story is much larger than originally estimate then it may need to be split
- The Story must be re-estimated so the team can make a good Sprint Plan
- The Story has to be tasked out on the Team Board
- The Story must be coded
- The Story must be code reviewed
- The Story must be retested from scratch across all test cases on all systems, devices and browsers etc
- Bugs have to be raised and fixed
- The Story must be signed off
- Throughout the Iteration the Team must update JIRA/Rally, talk about the story at Standup and communicate with each other in a timely and effective manner to ensure it passes through the Team’s Iteration workflow.
In short, any story that does not get DONE, even stories that are “99% DONE” will still require a fair amount of work from several people in the Team in the next iteration. Teams should be aware of this and they should focus on getting the maximum number of Story Points DONE.